June 29, 2008
INTRODUCTION – Does anyone know what the ten commandments are?
1. You shall have no other gods before Me.” Vs. 3
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol…” vs. 4
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain..” vs. 7
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.” Vs. 8
5. Honor your father and your mother…” vs. 9
6. You shall not murder. Vs. 13
7. You shall not commit adultery. Vs. 14
8. You shall not steal.” Vs. 15
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.” Vs. 16
10. You shall not covet.” Vs. 17
Do you know where they are found? Ex. 20
Have any of you ever committed murder?
Last week – Matt. 5:20-22
Concept of righteousness – Matt. 5:20
Murdering with our hands or a weapon
Murdering by anger – Matt. 5:21
Murdering by hate – I John 3:15
Have any of you ever lost your temper at someone?
Have you ever made someone cry because you got so mad at them – you did something mean to them?
Have you ever called someone a bad name (like “You idiot, or fool,”)
If getting angry at people or hating people is murder in God’s eyes, how can we learn not to lose our tempers and develop hatred towards people?
1. Get God’s word in your heart – Psalm 119:9-11; 165
2. Pray all the time – Matt. 26:41
3. Ask God to make you forgiving like Jesus – on the cross (Stephen too)
4. Develop strong faith and trust in God so you never feel threatened or out of control – Psa. 37:8 “Cease from anger and forsake wrath; Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.”
Pray over the children and congregation.